Utilizing technology in an engaging and innovative way!

Week 2 ASL-Introductions!

So far, things with my inquiry are going really well! I have been practicing my alphabet everyday, and I have even shown/taught some friends and my partner. I am pretty proud of how speedy I can do the alphabet now and usually do it while singing the song (I will put a video clip below). It is really nice, I truly look forward to the time block I set aside on Sundays to learn some new skills, and then practice them throughout the week. This week, we are onto introductions!

My progress on the ASL alphabet since last week!
**I tried to do a green screen and struggled so we are back to normal!

I think the alphabet is such a useful tool to have in my tool belt, and the next most important step to me is how to introduce myself in ASL as well as some greetings. To me, greetings and introductions are such an effective way for people to feel more comfortable around someone new, and I would like to be prepared to do that for anyone who his deaf that I come across. Not only do I want to learn how to introduce myself, but I would like to introduce myself as a teacher as if I am welcoming a deaf student into my classroom. So here we go for week 2!

Some new knowledge!

This week, I learned how to introduce myself and do so much more! I learned helpful phrases and words (like ‘yes’ and ‘no’), and even started learning how to ask questions. I have noticed how many patterns there are in ASL phrases and the alphabet. For example, ‘water’ uses the letter ‘w’ and ‘restroom’ uses the letter ‘r’. So many signs are intuitive and have helpful tricks to remind me of what the sign looks like. In the video below, Victoria explains that the word ‘learn’ is like taking information from a book and bringing it to your forehead. Amazing! I didn’t quite get through the entire video (it is amazing how full my brain gets after only 5-10 minutes of learning new signs), but I am excited to finish it this week!

Thank you, Victoria, for helping me learn some good introductions and useful phrases!

Lately I have been reflecting on how useful ASL can be in the classroom.I found the awesome video below tailored to using ASL int he classroom. I feel like this is such a useful place to start, and this teacher has so many more vlogs! A true gem of a resource if I ever saw one. One thing I have noticed is that when I spell my name J-A-M-I-E, when I sign ‘I’ I immediately want to sign ‘J’ (that is from all my alphabet practicing this week). I am going to start trying to spell different things in my downtime so I can begin feeling comfortable with spelling and using different letter combinations as I sign.

I am so excited I found this series! It just shows so many ways that ASL can be integrated into the classroom!

Well, I have a lot of new content to try out this week! This week I am going to start trying to extend from introductions and move into asking questions (I already have a bit of a start on this)! I do want to learn all the w’s and the best questions in everyday use. After all, one prof last semester told us that the average teacher asks 400 questions a day, so I better get to it!

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Ms. J

1. amithisste

Hey Jaime! I think you’re improving in your alphabet ten fold. You look much more confident in reciting it and faster at the alphabet. I remember I had class mates that memorized the alphabet and communicated to each other spelling things. They made a sort of waving/wiping hand gesture for the space in between the letters.
    I am looking forward to your posts so I can learn introductions. I want what the colour purple is in sign language… haha! Colours would be cool and a useful get way to get to know someone. Usually when I get to know a class I want to know three things about them: Their name, their favourite food and their favourite colour. I found that when I worked at after school care I could connect with them over conversations about food, and when I learned their favourite colour I felt like I got to know them so much better. It also helped for crafts etc so I could try and get them their favourite coloured paper or marker or something that they would enjoy. I think they appreciated that.
    Good on you for taking on another language. I am trés impressed. Which reminds me I really need to practice my French…

2. amithisste

Sorry I am just realizing I said space in between letters. I meant words! This is why I should spell check before commenting 😉