Can I just say once again, that this free inquiry project is an incredible idea and that it should be incorporated into classes of all ages/grade levels? It feels almost strange to schedule time out of my day to spend time learning ASL, something I have been wanting to learn for quite a while. I imagine this free inquiry process could be effective in elementary and middle schools, and could easily integrate the ELA curriculum!

I know what this means now! It is the letter ‘r’.
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

As I have been starting off on this learning journey, I have been brainstorming where I should start, and what goals I would like to work towards. I have also been pondering how I would like to document my work and how to best hold myself accountable for keeping up with my learning goals. Below, I outline some of my goals and my plan for sharing my process.

My Weekly Plan:

• Week 1-Learn the alphabet
  • Week 2- Introductions
  • Week 3- Important Questions (W’s)
  • Week 4- Social Emotional Learning and Signs
  • Week 5- Research on Lesson Differentiation for the Deaf (and practice)
  • Week 6- ASL lesson using educational resources, what have I learned so far?
  • Week 7- Resources in education for deaf learners
  • Week 8-Make a video summarizing what I have learned using words and signs when I am able to do so.

How I plan to document my learning:

• Weekly videos posted on this blog through my Youtube channel to document my learning and progress, if I learn enough I hope to introduce myself in sign language on a professional Youtube channel where I can post lessons, activities etc.
  • Trying out Trello to keep my goals in check! I have always had trouble with online planners and calendars though, so most likely I will revert back to my good ‘ol paper planner!

Week 1- The Alphabet

Here is my documentation and reflection on learning the alphabet! Maybe along this journey I can figure out how to make some more engaging videos using H5P/Screencast!
Thank you to Fireese for helping me with the alphabet!

I am hoping that the farther I get into this inquiry, the more topics I can fit into the week. I am starting off slow to try and get this alphabet down, and will soon hopefully be able to communicate more, or even enroll in an ASL class! For next week when I start learning introductions, I have already begun compiling videos and resources to help me out. Not only do I want to learn the signs themselves, but I would really like to do some more research on deaf culture and how I can be as sensitive and respectful as possible while learning asl.

On another tangent, I have started getting ASL Tik Toks in my feed… so even when I am procrastinating/using the socials, maybe I will still be learning (haha). See you next week!

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Ms. J