Setting up this first blog has been a reminder of all the possibilities that can be done on WordPress! I was the communications coordinator for an environmental non-profit called KIDS for the BAY and essentially taught myself how to use WordPress, so all of those memories are currently flooding back.

The Process

The process for setting up a blog post or website is relatively easy (registration-wise). Now that I have a general understanding of WordPress, I find the whole process much less intimidating. I know that for first time users, it can be quite the learning curve. I myself find that I have forgotten a lot of how to make it aesthetically pleasing and to coordinate the links and all the fancy tricks, so I am hoping that will start coming back to me.

Photo by: Jamie B.

The Product

I think blog pages are a fantastic way to document learning, projects, and experiences. Digital portfolios are so cool because you can really see where growth occurs. I would love to teach any grade in school, but lately have been drawn to middle school after my observations. I think that blogs can be a good use for students to document learning or experiences, and even for parent communication if they want to see what is happening in the classroom or what students are learning. For this to happen, there would clearly need to be some protection of privacy with passwords for certain pages or to have specific photo releases for a class. I also feel like developing blog pages and building these skills can be so valuable for the future of both teachers and students.